The city owes its name to Gaultier, the Abbot of Lesterps who founded a priory there. The church was built in the late 11th century. It is a Romanesque building which, with its square pillars and dome, is reminiscent of Limousin buildings. However, its portal without a tympanum, is of Romanesque-Poitevin style. The interior is very sober. The barrel vaults rest on pillars topped with capitals adorned with allegorical figures. The choir is, undoubtedly, the neatest architectural part. In the right transept, there is an oriental rite iconostasis intended to make the spirituality of the Christian East known. The priory became a college in 1740 then, 30 years later, a small seminary. Today it is a mixed college; nice view over the site.